The director of research at Coin Center, Peter Van Valkenburgh, discusses a proposed rule by the US Securities and Exchange Commission that has significant implications for the free speech rights of crypto software developers in the US. Highlights of the show:
- why an SEC proposal to change the definition of “exchange” may infringe on the free speech rights of US crypto developers
- whether the SEC is targeting DeFi on purpose, given that its 200-page proposal makes no mention of crypto or DeFi.
- What precedent has Peter discovered that should prevent the SEC from removing software developers’ right to free speech?
- how Peter and Coin Center structured their recent SEC comment letter
- what the crypto community should do next (such as file a lawsuit?) if the rule is implemented
- why writing software is part of a person’s right to free expression
- what impact the proposed rule may have on AMMs
- What happens next: when will the rule be implemented?